Adrenaline is racing. My heart thumping. Mind racing. Breath quicken and I draw. It was late August and it was the day of one of my horse shows. This was my first one where we had to draw the name of our horses that we were going to ride on poker chips out of a helmet. Most were good but there were a few I did not want. Also there was one that I was hoping for. After we chose we led them into the ring and mounted then started our routine. Then there was the award ceremony. And finally my least favorite part after the show with parents and friends taking pictures.
The horses used that day were all widespread with their temperaments, sizes, and speeds. The one that was considered the best was Murphy a roan paint with a fiery temperament. Then there was Jimmy, one horse that was beautiful, he had a dappled coat and was a rapid runner. Then there was his brother Gino, he was a dark bay with bumpy gaits. Wally was not a horse he is a mule but was used any way. Next was a horse I did not want Hank, he looked like Gino but was a cranky old horse who hated people. Also Hulk, a fat halflinger pony with a flaxen coat I did not want him because you had to whip him to get him to do anything. And finally Oreo, my favorite horse in the world. He loves me and follows me in the pasture.
When we were about to start drawing the horses the announcer called my class to the paddock to pick. I was hoping for Oreo but guess who I drew? Hank! I though how could I get Hank. Of all the horses I get him? Why? Why? Why? But then I saw a girl who was also disappointed with her horse. I walked over to her and asked who she picked. All she said was Oreo and was on the brink of crying. I asked her what horse she wanted and she said Hank in a low scratchy voice. Just then I whispered “I have Hank, If you let me use Oreo then you can use Hank.” Her brown eyes lit up like spotlights and she shoved the Oreo chip into my hands and yanked the Hank one out. Both of us were overjoyed and just wanted to scream in happiness.
Next on the schedule was the mounting of our horses. When Oreo saw me strolling toward him he let out a shrill whinny and I greeted him by scratching his little black ears. As the other riders started to mount Oreo started to nuzzle me a sign of pure horse happiness. When the mounting block was brought over to me I stepped on slowly so I would not scare Oreo. As I drifted into the saddle Oreo craned his neck showing he was ready. Everyone in the audience noticed that this horse really liked me. The announcer started to shout commands like “riders trot your horses” and “ riders canter your horses” Oreo heard these commands and did everything perfectly.
After we finished the whole show part the awards were handed out starting with sixth place, this one went to Hank and his rider. Then fifth came up and was given to Gino and his rider. Fourth went to Wally and his young rider. Third went to Jimmy and his rider. Second went to Murphy and his rider. And first went to me and Oreo. As soon as Oreo saw the ribbon he whinnied and nuzzled my shoulder. Then the ribbon was put on Oreo’s bridle next to his ear.
Soon after the ceremony there was the worst part, parents and friends rushing up to me and taking pictures of Oreo and I. I forgot to tell you that Oreo is camera shy because he has one blind eye and he freaks out as soon as he sees just one flash. As my sister went to take a picture I talked to Oreo and kept him calm through the whole thing. After my parents went back to the stands I led Oreo into his stall and untacked him. About one minute later the girl who rode Hank walked in and thanked me for letting her ride him.
I will have to wait six m ore months today until I get to see my friend Oreo again and I am trying to get my parents to buy him but all they say is we will think about it which usually translates to no. Out of all the horses there I got the one I wanted. And the drawing was lucky because if it had not been for that little girl I wouldn’t have been able to ride Oreo. Oreo was very glad that I was the one mounting him for this show and showed his pleasure by displaying to the audience how much he loved me. During the show its self was the second best part of the whole thing. Winning was amazing and with Oreo by my side we both knew that we deserved very much to win. And finally my parents cameras flashing and trying to keep Oreo calm was the worst part of all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Phenomenal word choice! As a reader, I feel I am right there in the ring with you.
ReplyDelete